Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Good Day to End Your Franchise: "A Good Day To Die Hard" Movie Review

                The fifth installment of the Die Hard series brings us… more of the same.  I’ve seen the third Die Hard film, With a Vengeance, the most out of any of them.  The fourth one, Live Free or Die Hard, I believe I’ve only seen once, but making another one of these is just like revisiting the same plot again.

                Okay, so maybe they have different characters from one to the next, but the point is still that they seem to be stuck in this world where the stories have already been told but someone still feels the need to tell more anyway.

                I imagine as being this great author having a series of books and then upon completing it saying, “No wait, there are more stories.  This one time we went out to lunch and the server got our order wrong!”  Who cares, right?

                So high speed chases, action, blah blah blah, Bruce Willis aka John McClane eventually bonds with his distant son.   And as I’m looking up Bruce Willis on IMDB for some idea as to why he might be reprising this character still, I can’t help but see his name attached to yet another Die Hard movie called “Die Hardest”.

                I don’t know if it’s worse that since 2012 Willis has been credited with such great movies as “Moonrise Kingdom”, “The Expendables 2”, “Looper”, “G.I. Joe: Retalliation”, “Red 2”, “Sin City 2”… I mean, “Fire with Fire” is on Netflix and I’ll probably watch it eventually.

                So which is worse:  Willis having all of these great roles and having to go back to the character he is best known for or the fact that I will most likely be watching the sixth installment as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment